With the next tube strike just days away, what options do your staff have if they live on the tube network?
Are they able to effectively work from home or will your business suffer because of the strikes?
Many bosses prefer to have their staff in the office, even with today’s technology meaning it really isn’t necessary.
Is it a trust issue, in that they don’t believe they’re working unless they can see them? In the past “working from home” was a euphemism for taking the day off, but that is no longer the case.
Is it a team issue, in that they believe the team works better when they can bounce ideas off each other and feel the buzz in the room? This can be great when there is a positive vibe in the room, but what will that vibe really be like once everyone has struggled into work on packed buses and overcrowded trains?
A home-working solution based around trust will deliver real benefits, particularly on the days the RMT decide to upset everyone in London again. Think about it:
- Connecting mobiles to your office phone solution so outbound calls look like they are coming from the office, and inbound calls get answered by the right person
- Staff probably starting work early because they don’t have to travel in
- Everyone happy because they can drink their own coffee, instead of the dreadful stuff in the vending machine!
- Data access is no longer a problem. For bigger businesses, staff simply connect to the office server network via Citrix or similar technologies. For smaller companies, Dropbox makes data sharing very easy
- Video-conferencing means staff can have virtual meetings whenever they want to. They may even be able to peek into each other’s homes via the link!
- On a more serious note, staff can have the client and sales meetings they need to, without having to deal with the tube network when they’re on strike.
With the strikes in February costing London’s small businesses over £600 million, perhaps it’s time to make sure your business isn’t impacted too much.
If you’re worried about the impact future tube, bus and train strikes will have on your business, get in touch and we can talk about your needs and the solution options available to you.